Smart consumers do their research before buying a product. They need to make sure it has generally good reviews, it suits their needs and that they are protected if something goes wrong.
I urge you to do the same with your Kanata real estate agent. I’ve compiled a list of questions to ask a real estate agent when buying a home so that you feel confident when picking the right real estate agent.
1. How Long Have You Been In The Business?
While most people will want a real estate agent who has a certain level of experience, it is important to remember the length of time in the business does not necessarily translate to a viable quantity of transactions or quality of their business.
A new agent will most likely have more time to concentrate on you, but if they are holding down another job until their real estate practice picks up, they might not be as focused as you think.
Essentially, if a real estate agent has a good mentor, or has completed a good deal of sales, they should be someone you can put your trust in.
2. What Is Your Best Plan For My Needs?
An important question to ask a realtor when buying a home is what their strategy will involve when searching for the right home for you.
Will they be able to find out how much did a home sell for? How will they find the listings that they send you? Do they have access to information on properties that are not on MLS? How do they handle multiple offers?
3. What Are Some Things That Separate You From Your Competition?
An excellent agent will jump at the opportunity to answer this question. Most buyers want an agent who is honest, trustworthy and an excellent negotiator, but what you should also be looking for is their niche.
Do they work particularly in the neighbourhood in which you are looking? Do they specialize in the type of home you are looking for? Do they like to cater to first-time buyers or families or downsizers? Find out what their niche is and see if it fits well with your needs.
4. How Will You Help Me Find Other Professionals?
Your real estate agent should have a written list of reputable professionals who will help facilitate your home buying process.
Through their experience they should have built a good working relationship with professionals such as mortgage brokers, home inspectors or lawyers which they can recommend to you if needed.
It might be a good idea to find out why they chose such professionals and if it is worth pairing up with them as well.
5. Other Questions To Ask Your Real Estate Agent
While there are many questions to ask a real estate agent when buying a home, make sure you narrow it down to four or five key questions that you think will give you the assurances you need based on your criteria for buying a home. Here is a quick, additional list of good questions to ask:
1. How long have you been in the business?
2. Send me your last two years of sales in hardcopy?
3. Are you a full time agent?
4. Send me three written testimonials in the past 3 years.
5. Have you ever been fired as an agent and if so why?
6. If a house is being sold privately do I have to pay a commission?
7. What is the length of my contract?
8. Are you available on weekends and nights?
9. How long have you been with your present Brokerage?
10. What are you looking for in a realtor?
Have you had any bad experiences with a realtor in the past and if so what were the issues? If you are interested in buying a home and would like to interview the Paul Rushforth team, we would be more than happy to set up a meeting with you! Contact us today!